General site: Patient Registration is located on the 1st floor near the West entrance and close to Tim Horton's.
Hours: Monday to Friday, 6 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Branson Ambulatory Care Centre: Patient Registration is located near the main entrance.
Hours: Monday to Friday: 6:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Please ensure you have the following:
- Ontario health card
- Proper identification, (i.e.,driver's license, passport, permanent resident card)
- North York General Hospital card (if you have one)
- Supplemental insurance information (if applicable)
- Social Insurance Number (for work-related injury/illness through the Workplace Safety Insurance Board)
Your health care team will make sure you and your family are prepared to be discharged from the hospital. Please ensure you have all your belongings, your aftercare instructions, prescriptions and follow-up appointments arranged. For more information about the hospital’s discharge policies, please speak with your health care team
Why is the hospital sending me a bill for ambulance service?
All patients, except those listed in the Special Exemption categories below, who receive land ambulance transportation pay a co-payment for the ambulance services rendered. In most cases, hospitals act as the billing agents although occasionally bills may be issued by the ambulance service provider.
Ambulance services billing guidelines and commonly asked questions
In accordance with Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care legislation, (Health Insurance Act, Reg. 552) hospitals are required to bill a co-payment charge to patients for the use of an ambulance.
The rates as set by the Ministry of Health are as follows:
- $45 for a patient with a valid Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP)
- $240 for a medically unnecessary ambulance
- $240 for a patient with out of province insurance
- $240 for a non-resident of Canada or uninsured resident
For more information please visit the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care's website.
What are the Special Exemption categories?
All Ontario citizens who travel within Ontario by ambulance for medically necessary services, and who have a valid Ontario Health Card, are required to pay a portion (co-payment) of the ambulance services rendered in the amount of $45, except under the following situations:
- the person receives benefits under the Ontario Works Act, the Ontario Disability Support Program Act or the Family Benefits Act;
- the person receives provincial social assistance (general welfare assistance or family benefits);
- the person is enrolled in the ministry's Home Care Program;
- the person is living in one of the following facilities licensed or approved by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care: nursing home, home for the aged, rest home, home for special care, home or residence for psychiatric patients.
If you fall into an unbillable category as stated above, please email your supporting documentation along with your invoice, as well as any questions you may have to: email@example.com. You may also submit your supporting documentation with invoice via fax: 416-756-6514 or direct mail:
ATTENTION: Business Office
North York General Hospital
4001 Leslie Street
Toronto, ON M2K 1E1
It's easy to pay your bill — Pay your ambulance bill online.
Your account should be settled before you leave the hospital. This includes charges for preferred accommodation, supplies and the ambulance fees. The provincial health insurance plan does not cover the cost of supplies such as crutches, canes, splints, fiberglass casts, etc. When these items are prepared for you, the extra cost will be explained.
Inquiries may be made at the General site Patient Accounts satellite office, 1st floor (1W-128) near the Charlotte & Lewis Steinberg Emergency entrance. More information about charges and billing procedures is available on the Frequently asked questions section of our Accommodation page.
You may also contact us at 416-756-6131
Press 1 for office hours
Press 2 for inquiries from patients without an OHIP card
Press 3 for inquiries regarding your accommodation bill
Press 4 to make a payment
Press 5 for inquiries regarding your ambulance bill
Press 6 for inquiries from Canadian Insurance companies
Press 7 for inquiries about your supply charge
Press 8 for inquiries about your co-payment bill
To request a receipt: email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Patient Accounts Satellite Office location and hours
1st floor (1W-128) near the Charlotte & Lewis Steinberg Emergency
Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.and 5 to 9 p.m.
Sunday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed Saturdays and holidays.