Updated: July 8, 2022
At North York General Hospital (NYGH), we understand the integral role families, loved ones and caregivers play in patients’ health and healing.
As Ontario’s COVID-19 situation steadily improves, NYGH, together with other hospitals, is changing its COVID-19 screening process, opening up additional entries and exits and continuing to allow for more visitors and Essential Care Partners (support people) at our sites.
Starting June 27, 2022, the following changes will come into effect at the General and community sites except for the Seniors’ Health Centre, which is governed by provincial guidance and directives for Long-Term Care Homes:
Expanded Public Entrances
- Everyone will be able to enter and exit the General site through the West and South lobby entrances between 6 a.m. and 9 p.m. and through the South lobby entrance outside of this time frame by pressing the intercom button beside the public entrance door to gain access.
Expanded Visitor Access
- Patients are welcome to have visitors 24 hours a day according to their preference, with two visitors at the bed side at a time to maintain physical distancing. To support families, children under 14 are excluded from this limit. Exceptions may apply as determined by the patient’s care team to ensure everyone’s safety and comfort.
- Pre-booking and signing into the unit upon arrival will no longer be required.
- Children and youth under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult who is not a patient and must wear a mask provided by NYGH. Adults are also required to wear a hospital-provided mask that covers the chin and nose while visiting NYGH.
- Virtual visits are still available to stay in contact with loved ones over MS Teams or Facetime.
- Visitors and Essential Care Partners are strongly encouraged to be vaccinated against COVID-19 to provide the best possible protection against infection and serious illness. Consistent with changes in public spaces and the health system, proof of full COVID-19 vaccination will no longer be required to enter NYGH sites.
In addition, visitors and Essential Care Partners must:
- Wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment before entering a patient room at the direction and guidance of the patient’s care team.
- Eat or drink only in designated public areas such as the cafeteria and not in patient rooms or waiting rooms.
- Avoid visiting NYGH if feeling unwell, even if you have mild symptoms, or are COVID-19 positive, awaiting results of a COVID-19 test, in close contact with a COVID-19 positive person, or in quarantine.
See nygh.on.ca/visitor for more information.