Recreational Therapy utilizes participation in recreation and leisure activities as well as leisure education to optimize quality of life, maximize independence, and promote physical, cognitive, emotional, social, and spiritual health and wellbeing. Recreational Therapists are responsible for assessing clients’ current interests, abilities, needs, and barriers related to a meaningful leisure lifestyle. Based on assessment results, Recreational Therapists engage clients in 1:1 or group therapy interventions.
Examples of recreational therapy interventions delivered across NYGH include:
- Exercise-based programs such as seated exercise/yoga
- Social engagement programs such as Bingo, special events
- Music-based interventions such as sing-alongs or music appreciation
- Cognitive therapy programs such as brain aerobics, trivia, etc
- Creative expression such as art appreciation
- Educational Programs such as Culinary Art and Nutrition program
- 1:1 interventions (ie. Montessori Activities)
Please note: Recreational Therapy programs will vary based on the unit to match the need of patient population.
Recreational Therapy internships are available on a part-time and full-time basis. Typically, the recreational therapist intern will help assess clients, facilitate 1:1 and group therapy programs, complete documentation, provide leisure education counselling, and create opportunities for recreation and leisure skill development.
The internships are available in the following areas:
- Out-Patient Geriatric Day Hospital/Specialized Geriatrics Services (243 Consumer's Road, Suite 300)
- Reactivation Care Centre (Finch Site)
- In-Patient Geriatric Medicine Program (General Site)
- In-Patient Adult/Geriatric Mental Health (General Site)
- Out-Patient Mental Health Day Hospital (General Site)