North York General Hospital (NYGH), affiliated with the University of Toronto, is one of Canada's leading community academic hospitals. We offer our culturally diverse community a wide range of acute care, ambulatory and long-term care services across multiple sites. Through partnerships, collaboration and academic endeavours, we seek to set new standards for patient- and family-centred care. Working together with our patients and their families, we are making a world of difference.
We provide an exceptional care experience for our patients and their families, and have proudly served our diverse communities in North Toronto, and beyond, since 1968.
The hospital partners with 36 different academic institutions, including the University of Toronto, to prepare future physicians, nurses and other health care professionals to work in interprofessional teams, providing essential care in a community hospital setting. NYGH programs are the training site for four core clerkship programs and we provide a site for core rotations to 22 different University of Toronto Residency Programs. Over 300 North York General physicians have faculty appointments at the University of Toronto. Each year, 1,200 nursing students come here to learn and develop their clinical skills.
Our staff, physicians and volunteers have a history of transforming health care to better serve our patients. We are leaders who adopt the most innovative health information technology, strategists who carefully chart patient flow and find ways to reduce wait times, and visionaries who dream of, and work towards, the ideal patient experience. From boardroom to bedside, we go above and beyond to offer the best and safest care. We put our patients first in everything we do.
NYGH is a leader in patient- and family-centred care:
- Home to one of the largest Family and Community Medicine programs in Canada with over195 active family physicians caring for the patients and families we serve.
- As a learning organization, NYGH is committed to developing its people. We support each person on their journey to be the best they can be, focusing on delivering excellent patient care and high-quality service.
- A top choice for University of Toronto medical students and residents in General Surgery, Obstetrics and Emergency Medicine.
- One of the largest single site obstetrical centres in Ontario. Each year we celebrate the birth of over 5,000 babies.
- One of Ontario's largest regional genetics centres with a strong family-focused approach to patient care.
- Comprehensive mental health services for children, adults and seniors. We partner with over 25 community organizations and offer widespread community outreach, resulting in best practices in continuity of care.
- We are home to the BMO Breast Diagnostic Clinic and the Karen, Heather & Lynn Steinberg Breast Centre – the first centre of its kind.
- Exceptional care provided to over 500 premature or critically ill babies each year in NYGH's Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
- Reduced wait times through the Gale and Graham Wright Prostate Centre — one of the only prostate centres in Toronto.
- One of the most visited emergency departments in Canada.
- A unique model of care at the Freeman Centre for the Advancement of Palliative Care.