North York General Hospital offers testing by appointment only from Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The Ministry of Health, with Ontario Health, have announced changes to who is eligible for a COVID-19 test at Assessment Centres and implemented appointment-based testing.
If you have severe symptoms such as shortness of breath, chest pain/pressure, persistent fever or require immediate medical attention, please call 911 or proceed to the nearest Emergency Department.
Or call 416-635-2509 from Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. to book your appointment over the phone.
Please note the assessment center only operates from Monday through Friday. It is closed on weekends. Please also note that the assessment centre will be closed August 2, 2021 for the Civic Holiday.
Important update: As of December 11, 2020 following guidelines from the Ontario Government, Assessment Centre's, including North York General's, will no longer be providing testing for international travel.
Book an appointment for a COVID-19 test ONLY if you:
- Have symptoms of COVID-19
- Have had close contact with someone who has tested positive for the virus (call Toronto Public Health 416-338-7600 to better understand if your exposure is considered “close contact”)
- Have received notification through the COVID Alert app
- Live or work in a setting that has a COVID-19 outbreak, as identified and informed by the local public health unit
- Are a resident, visiting a resident or work in an at-risk setting, such as a long-term care home, homeless shelter or other congregate setting
- Are an NYGH patient and require a test for surgery
- Are at greater risk for COVID-19 due to a health condition (e.g., starting treatment for cancer or is directed by their treating clinician)
- Are an international student who has passed the 14-day quarantine period
Please note: if you require further assistance and need accommodations, call 416-635-2509 to speak with a team member who will be able to assist you with your visit needs.
Testing in pharmacies is now available to those not showing symptoms and who are a resident or working in an at-risk setting, such as a long-term care home, homeless shelter or other congregate setting. See the full list of participating pharmacies.
*Due to high volumes, COVID-19 test results may take up to four days to become available. We are not able to expedite test results. Thank you for your patience.