Updated February 14, 2020.
North York General Hospital is actively working with Public Health Ontario to monitor reports from China and around the world. While the Public Health Agency of Canada reports that the risk of novel coronavirus spreading remains low North York General continues its screening process and precautions throughout the hospital to protect our patients and their families as well as staff, physicians, learners and volunteers.
Travelled to Mainland China in the last 14 days?
If you recently travelled to Mainland China, or have been in close contact with someone who was recently there, and you are experiencing respiratory symptoms including fever, cough, congestion or runny nose, there are a few steps to consider:
- Monitor your symptoms – if you feel well enough we recommend you stay at home, drink fluids, rest and continue monitoring your symptoms. There are many viruses going around during flu season.
- Self-isolate – to help prevent the spread of any respiratory virus we recommend you limit your exposure to others. Stay at home. Do not go to work, school or other public places while you are ill. If you leave your house to see a health care provider, wear a mask over your nose and mouth.
- Seeking medical assistance – if you need to see a healthcare provider, call your family doctor and discuss your recent travel history or exposure with them. They will advise you on the situation and if you should visit their office for further assessment. You can also call Telehealth Ontario, a free, confidential service you can call to get health advice or information. A Registered Nurse will take your call 24 hours a day, seven days a week. (Toll-free: 1-866-797-0000/ Toll-free TTY: 1-866-797-0007)
If you come to the hospital, please put on a mask upon arrival and inform the triage nurse of your recent travel history or exposure. The medical team will take care of you.
- In case of emergency – if you need urgent help, please call 911 and inform the operator of your recent travel history and concern about novel coronavirus.
Information for all visitors
We ask that you please not visit friends or family if you are feeling unwell (including fever, cough, flu-like symptoms, vomiting or diarrhea). You can find more information on visitor self-screening on our Visitor Information page online. As flu season continues, patients and visitors can get their free flu shot at North York General's Pharmacy at the General site (4001 Leslie Street). Please bring your OHIP card.
Preventing the spread of respiratory viruses
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Stay home when you are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces