Currently, North York General Hospital (NYGH) in Toronto has about a dozen active clinical trials or research projects, in different areas, including Oncology, ICU, Paediatrics, Plastics and Genetics, and we are expanding and growing our clinical trials infrastructure into additional areas such as Alzheimer’s.
A clinical trial (also called a study) is a test of a drug, therapy, surgical procedure, medical device, or of nutrition or behavioral changes in people. The purpose is to gather information to confirm that the drug or therapy is safe and effective for people.
At North York General, we aim to conduct and facilitate high quality, ethical, and patient-centred clinical trials. Our focus is to build a structure to support increased participation in clinical trials, consistently deliver on our commitments and provide additional treatment options to our patients.
Our mandate to enhance patient health care and treatment outcomes, aligns with the hospital's core values of excellence, respect, integrity, and compassion for our patients.
We have an excellent team of physicians, nurses, and health care professionals, who work collaboratively to enhance the clinical trial operation. Clinical research services provides investigators with the resources needed to successfully implement clinical trials.
NYGH as a “research site of choice”
- Our goal at North York General is to provide exceptional health care to our diverse communities. Toronto has one of the most diverse populations in the world, and the area around NYGH is a great reflection of that.
- A community hospital setting is another added value when conducting clinical research at our facilities. NYGH puts a strong emphasis on fostering a patient-and family-centred care culture throughout our organization. We take pride in our healthy culture of inclusion and excellent service.
- At NYGH, we are always striving for process improvement and have implemented new structures to support an increased number of clinical trials. In addition to consulting with industry sponsors to understand their priorities and success criteria, we offer various clinical trials services that help to streamline and simplify the experience of hosting clinical trials at NYGH.
Some of these services include:
- Providing principal investigators with operational and regulatory support on the conduct, execution and reporting of clinical trials.
- Study planning, including budget preparation, regulatory submission and clinical trial registration.
- In-house Research Ethics Board, which provides regulatory oversight and safety monitoring.
- Good Clinical Practice training and other educational opportunities for staff
- Data management services
- Study team planning and hiring
- Risk management and contingency planning to ensure alignment with sponsors success criteria