Library services are available for all staff, physicians and students of North York General Hospital.
If you require hospital/health-related books or journal articles which are not held in the Library, we will try to obtain them for you. As a member of the Health Science Information Consortium of Toronto, our main sources for loans are the University of Toronto, and other hospital and health science libraries in the Toronto region.
Books and journals
The Library's collection includes books, journals and audiocassettes in medicine, nursing and allied health disciplines, as well as health administration. Most items are available for loan, with the exception of reference texts and current journal issues. The loan period is two weeks.
- EBSCO Databases — CINAHL, Medline
- OVID Online
- NLM - PubMed Medline
- AAO Red Book
- Note: To access the databases externally, contact the librarian at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CMA Infobase — Canadian clinical practice guidelines
- GAC Guidelines — Canadian and international practice guidelines
- National Guideline Clearinghouse — US clinical practice guidelines
- Canadian Medical Association
- Hardin Meta Directory
A directory of lists of medical, nursing and pharmacy websites
Full-text clinical articles, patient information, medical news, as well as free access to Medline; registration required.
- NCI's Cancer
Cancer information for patients, health professionals and researchers: clinical trials, reviews of treatment, screening and prevention.
- Canadian Nurses Association (CNA)
- College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO)
- Ontario Nurses' Association (ONA)
- Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario (RNAO)
Consumer health/Patient education
- MedlinePlus Easy-to-Read
- North York General Hospital Consumer Health Education Library
- Canada - Health Canada
- Canada - Government of Canada
- Ontario - Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
- Toronto Public Health
Dictionaries and other reference tools